Canadian Educated RN


To practise nursing in Saskatchewan, you must be registered and licensed to practise registered nursing with the SRNA. Only if you have a licence to practise nursing can you call yourself, or be employed as, a "nurse", "registered nurse", "graduate nurse", "registered nurse (nurse practitioner)" or "registered nurse (graduate nurse practitioner)".

Practising without a licence is in violation of The Registered Nurses Act, 1988 and there is no liability coverage through CNPS.

Applications will remain valid for one year from the date of the last contact by the applicant. Last contact shall be defined as the provision of documentation/information to support the application process.

Regulations and entry requirements are subject to bylaw and policy changes. 

Intent to Apply Fee for a Registered Nurse (RN) Licence

There is a non-refundable fee of $157.50 for your intent to apply with the SRNA.


Requirements for RN Registration in Saskatchewan

A.Download these documents:


1) Registration where Educated: You must have been deemed eligible for/granted registration in the jurisdiction where you obtained your nursing education.


Print and complete the Verification of Original Registration/Licensure form.


Forward this form and required fee to the regulatory body in the jurisdiction where you obtained your initial RN registration.


The regulatory body will complete their section and return the form directly to the SRNA.


2)Registration in Good Standing: You must have been registered in good standing in the jurisdiction(s) you were originally and most recently licenced as a nurse.


Print and complete the Verification of Current/Most Recent Registration/Licensure form. Link


Forward the form and required fee to the regulatory body in the jurisdiction where you most recently worked as a RN.


The regulatory body will complete their section and return the form directly to the SRNA.


*If your original and current/most recent registrations are in the same jurisdiction, SRNA requires the regulatory body to complete only the Verification of Current/Most Recent Registration/Licensure form and it must be returned directly to the SRNA.


3)Verification of Original Registration/Licensure – for Internationally Educated Nurses (IENs):                                                                                                      

If you are an internationally educated nurse/a nurse educated outside of Canada, SRNA will require Verification of Original Registration/Licensure from the country where you obtained your basic nursing education. This requirement is in addition to a Verification of Original Registration/Licensure from the province in Canada where you were granted initial Canadian registration and licensure.


Print and complete the Verification of Original Registration/Licensure form.


Forward this form and required fee to the regulatory body/Council  in the country/jurisdiction where you obtained your initial RN registration.


The regulatory body will complete their section and return the form directly to the SRNA.


Documents from Source: Regulatory bodies are considered “sources of truth” for your registration and licensure information. Therefore, verifications received at SRNA from other regulatory bodies are considered source documents. Source documents and their envelopes must clearly show documents were mailed directly from the source to SRNA, or SRNA will need to request authenticity and your application will be delayed.


4)Consent Form to Obtain Employment Verification Information: This consent permits SRNA to obtain information from your most recent employer about your registered nursing practice.


Print and Complete the Consent Form to Obtain Employment Verification Information. You must provide the name of the most recent nurse manager or supervisor who is familiar with your RN practice. Accurate contact information for your most recent RN manager/supervisor includes name, position title designation and contact details are appreciated. Forward the completed form to SRNA.


SRNA will forward the Consent Form to Obtain Employment Verification Information together with a Request for Reference form to your most recent RN supervisor/manager.


Your manager/supervisor will return the documents directly back to the SRNA. 


5)Consent to Release Registration Information: This form indicates additional Canadian jurisdictions where you have applied for registration and licensure regardless of outcome of the assessment in that province. The consent permits SRNA to make inquiries about the status of your application with other regulatory bodies.  This form is only required if you have never practised as a RN in Canada.


Print and complete the Consent to Release Registration Information form.


Forward the completed form to SRNA.

B. Upload these documents:



1) Birth Certificate: This document is considered a primary identity document in your assessment with SRNA.




2)Marriage Certificate/Change-of-Name Document: This document is a legal document that is required if you have any change-of-name during or after an application with SRNA. If you have chosen to retain and continue to use your maiden name, this document is not required.


To access these forms and upload your identity documents click here.


3) Vulnerable Sector Check
Starting June 1, 2017, SRNA applicants passing the NCLEX-RN who are seeking an Initial RN Licence are required to submit a Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC) Report that has been issued by the police force where the applicant lives (e.g. RCMP, city police or police service).

-The VSC report must be issued within the previous six (6) months of the date of application for licensure (e.g. application date is June 1, 2017 means the report must have been issued after Dec 1, 2016). Any costs associated with a VSC report are the responsibility of the applicant. 

-The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) processes criminal record checks. Please review the information at To contact your local city police check their website for information.

-You do not need to submit a VSC report if you have submitted one for a GN licence.

-If you are a Canadian Graduate of a nursing program outside of Saskatchewan, and seeking an initial RN Licence in Saskatchewan, please contact

-The VSC report requirement does not apply to those graduates who are only writing the NCLEX-RN® with the SRNA, and plan to seek licensure in another province.

-The SRNA will provide direction for VSC report requirements for GN licensure to Internationally Educated Nurses when all licensure requirements are met. 

-Click here for Q & A’s on the VSC.

-If you have questions about this new requirement, contact 

To submit your VSC report

Submit your VSC report with your RN licence application by selecting the Vulnerable Sector Check from the drop-down list on your Requirements Checklist & Document Upload



4)Third Party Authorization: Your application with SRNA is confidential. We will only release information to a third party (e.g. spouse, friend or employer), if you have sent us a signed letter authorizing SRNA to release information to that party.


C.  Additional Requirements:



Language Proficiency: English is the main language used in health care in Saskatchewan. We require that you are proficient in English to ensure safe nursing practice. If English is not your primary language, an acceptable English language test will be required.  Please see acceptable English language test scores in this table.


Good Character: You will answer good character questions in your online application for a RN licence and provide any relevant explanation. SRNA will follow up with any concerns regarding good character or request employer reference(s).


Hours of Practice: In the last five years, you must have either worked at least 1125 hours of nursing practice; or graduated from an approved nursing education program; or completed an approved nursing re-entry program.


If you have completed a nursing re-entry/refresher program within the last five years and have not practised 1125 hours as a RN since that date, have the nursing program send the transcript directly to the SRNA.


Continuing Competence: Continuing competence is defined as the ongoing ability of a registered nurse to integrate and apply the knowledge, skills, judgment and personal attributes required to practise safely and ethically in a designated role and setting. In Saskatchewan, the Continuing Competence Program has four components: personal assessment, feedback, learning plan and evaluation. You must have fulfilled the continuing competence requirements in the jurisdiction where you most recently practised registered nursing. 


RNs are required to participate in the Continuing Competence Program, documents are available at: SRNA Continuing Competence

What do I need to do next?

In order to complete your assessment and application for registration and licensure with SRNA, please carry out these next steps:

  1. Login and create a new account or login to your existing account. Login Here
  2. Complete the online assessment for RN eligibility and submit your fee. NOTE: After submitting your assessment and fee, you will be provided access to a Checklist/Requirements webpage. The webpage permits uploading of your other documents.
  3. Download and Upload required documents.
  4. Complete your initial RN Application for the RN licence.NOTE: Access to the RN Initial Application will not be permitted until SRNA has received all requirements and your application has been approved. Once your application has been approved, a link to this webpage will be sent to you to log-in to your account and complete the RN Initial application for a licence.

Registered Nurse (RN) Licensure

It is your responsibility to confirm that your RN Licence has been issued before you begin work. You and your nursing manager or employer may confirm your RN registration using our Online Verification Service.

To confirm that you are licensed as a RN before you begin work, visit our Online Verification Service

Changes After Applying

If you move, you will need to log in and change your address and contact information under the MySRNA tab.

If you change your name, you will need to upload a clear copy of your change of name documentation/marriage certificate.