Initial Graduate Nurse (GN) Licence - RN


To practise nursing in Saskatchewan, you must be registered and licensed to practise registered nursing with the SRNA.  Only if you have a licence to practise nursing can you call yourself, or be employed as, a "nurse", "registered nurse", "graduate nurse", "registered nurse (nurse practitioner)" or "registered nurse (graduate nurse practitioner)".

The GN licence is a temporary, four-month licence with two possible four-month extensions. You must be scheduled to write the NCLEX-RN® in order to be eligible for a GN licence or extension.

An applicant is not eligible for an initial GN Licence if they have failed the exam 2 times and have not previously had a GN licence; as they are unable to provide an employer reference attesting to safe and competent practice in Canada.

While licenced as a Graduate Nurse, the member must immediately report to the Registrar if he/she has obtained a conviction or finding of guilt for any criminal offense under the Criminal Code (Canada), the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (Canada) or any similar legislation in any province, territory, state or country, or any offence in relation to the practice of nursing or another profession in any jurisdiction. Contact;
Phone: (Regina) 306-359-4200; (Toll free) 1-800-667-9945



Scope of Practice, Graduate Nurse Membership

The graduate nurse member shall practise nursing under the supervision of a registered nurse.

Graduate nurses can work in a variety of settings, including home care, long term and acute care.

In areas where graduate nurses are employed, a registered nurse must be at work and available to direct the work actions or performance of the graduate nurse in a collaborative practice.  In Long Term Care facilities and on Mental Health units, a registered nurse and/or a registered psychiatric nurse must supervise a graduate nurse.  Collaborative practice shall be defined as a process which involves the graduate and registered nurse working together, in each other's presence as necessary. The graduate nurse shall not be certified to perform nursing procedures by transfer of medical functions(s).

For more information see: SRNA publication: Guidelines for Graduate Nurse Practice.


GNs and RNs are required to participate in the Continuing Competence Program.

Once you have passed the NCLEX-RN®, the GN licence or an extension is no longer available.  It is your responsibility to ensure that the requirements for RN registration are received at the SRNA in time to be processed before your current G N Licence expires.  If your GN Licence expires before you are registered as a RN in Saskatchewan, it is your responsibility to notify your employer that you will not be able to work until you have obtained your Saskatchewan RN licence.


To Apply for a GN Licence

Canadian Educated Graduate – Once you have met the SRNA requirements you can apply for a GN licence.  

How to apply for a Graduate Nurse Licence


Internationally Educated Nurse - You must be scheduled to write the NCLEX-RN® in order to be eligible for a GN licence. Once all requirements have been met for the NCLEX-RN® a GN Rgistration application link will appear. This link is located on the MySRNA tob, under the Application Status section, click on the Continue your application process link.

It is your responsibility to confirm that your GN Licence has been issued before you begin work.  You and your nurse manager or employer will confirm your GN registration using our Verification Service. Practising without a licence is in violation of The Registered Nurses Act, 1988 and you would have no liability coverage through CNPS. 

 SRNA no longer provides a Graduate Nurse Licence Card. Your official receipt can be downloaded from your online account after the licence issue date. Go to the MySRNA tab, under the My Profile section click on the Order History link.

Apply for First Extension