First Extension for the SK Graduate Nurse Licence – RN


To practise nursing in Saskatchewan, you must be registered and licensed to practise registered nursing with the SRNA.  Only if you have a licence to practise nursing can you call yourself, or be employed as, a "nurse", "registered nurse", "graduate nurse", "registered nurse (nurse practitioner)" or "registered nurse (graduate nurse practitioner)".

The GN licence is a temporary, four-month licence with two possible four-month extensions. You must be scheduled to write the NCLEX-RN® in order to be eligible for a GN extension.

Scope of Practice, Graduate Nurse Membership

The graduate nurse member shall practise nursing under the supervision of a registered nurse.

Graduate nurses can work in a variety of settings, including home care, long term and acute care.

In areas where graduate nurses are employed, a registered nurse must be at work and available to direct the work actions or performance of the graduate nurse in a collaborative practice.  In Long Term Care facilities and on Mental Health units, a registered nurse and/or a registered psychiatric nurse must supervise a graduate nurse.  Collaborative practice shall be defined as a process which involves the graduate and registered nurse working together, in each other's presence as necessary. The graduate nurse shall not be certified to perform nursing procedures by transfer of medical functions(s).

For more information see: SRNA publication: Guidelines for Graduate Nurse Practice

GNs and RNs are required to participate in the Continuing Competence Program.

Once you have passed the NCLEX-RN®, the GN licence or an extension is no longer available.  It is your responsibility to ensure that the requirements for RN registration are received at the SRNA in time to be processed before your current Graduate Nurse Licence expires.  If your GN Licence expires before you are registered as a RN in Saskatchewan, it is your responsibility to notify your employer that you will not be able to work until you have obtained your Saskatchewan RN licence.

It is important to apply for the GN Licence extension before your expiry date so there is no lapse in licensure.  The earliest you can begin to submit your GN extension requirements, are one month before your current GN licence expires. 



Immediate reporting of a criminal conviction or finding of guilt : While licenced to practice as a GN, RN, RN(AAP), RN(GNP) or RN(NP), a member must immediately report to the Registrar if he/she has obtained a conviction or finding of guilt for any criminal offense under the Criminal Code (Canada), the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (Canada) or any similar legislation in any province, territory, state or country, or any offence in relation to the practice of nursing or another profession in any jurisdiction. Contact the Registrar at: or (Regina) 306-359-4200; (Toll free) 1-800-667-9945

Ask your nurse manager to send a letter directly to SRNA, dated, signed and on letterhead, confirming they are extending your employment and that you are practising at a safe and competent level for a graduate nurse. Your nurse manager may scan and email this letter to, fax or mail directly to the SRNA office.

At the discretion of the Registrar, a satisfactory current/most recent employer performance review stating that the GN is practising at a safe and competent level may be required. If this is an additional requirement the Consent Form to Obtain Employment Verification Information for Graduate Nurse will show as a requirement on your checklist.  You would then need to print this form from the Upload & Download Documents section, complete and submit to the SRNA by uploading to your account. When uploading documents you must select the correct document type in the drop down menu so the system is able to recognize the document and update your online checklist to show that it has been submitted. 

It is your responsibility to confirm that your GN Licence extension has been issued before you begin work.  You and your nurse manager or employer may confirm your GN registration using our Verification Service .  Practising without a licence is in violation of The Registered Nurses Act, 1988 and you would have no liability coverage through CNPS. 

SRNA no longer provides a Graduate Nurse Licence Card. Your official receipt can be downloaded from the MySRNA tab, under the My Profile section, click on the Order History link.

To apply for the Second Extension